Sunday, February 22, 2009

Moving forward... fire-ward?

Another Sunday... another update. Today started drilling my tail piece holes, chasing out tuner holes ect. The 2 'birds from the original batch needed the pots and output jack holes drilled as well.

This jig is for the 2 original bodies that only had pilot marks for where to drill.
Because of the way our CNC holds parts down I can't drill all the way through (plus it will blow the back side out) so we had to chase all the holes through. Using some old butcher block as a backer.
Another one of the originals that has to be drilled from scratch. This template lines everything up.
Dad hard at work drilling headstocks.
Starting to drill for tailpiece bushings.

The blue tape is to remind me NOT to drill the bridge holes. Those use a different size bit...
After the drilling was done I decided to shoot a few coats of sealer down. Normally I wait till after fretting but since the weather has been oscillating between warm, wet, cold ect I decided I might as well spray a couple coats of sealer on to protect the wood.
Same contraption as last time only on a grander scale.

Masked up and spraying. Three seems to be the magic number, enough room to work around.


Time to put Dave to work again! Thought he should learn to use the spray gun...
He got the hang of it eventually!

No comments: