Sunday, March 22, 2009

Guitar-b-que

WAY behind on updates here. I've been lagging partially because there hasn't been a ton to show. Sealer and grain filling has been on the Firebird's but they are waiting for paint. Joes Thunderbird is cut out, I'll update that in a separate post.

In the mean time, we are having a BIG BBQ at the shop for guitar building hobbyists like ourselves. We stocked up on material and we'll be running bodies all day. Steve and I went out and picked up a truck load (literally) of Mahogany and Alder. Today, Steve, Dave and I started cleaning up the material and gluing them into billets.

ROUGH Mahogany. This is one of my favorite parts of woodworking... running nasty looking wood through the planner.


Steve and I are doing a light cleanup, getting the material down to about 1.85" thick.


Rough Mahogany in, clean Mahogany out :D


This is how we straight line. The jig at the front basically pinches the the board in, works really well. Nice thing is I can straight-line 10' boards here with out hassle.


I did have a couple 12 footers though, I chopped 2 feet out of them to straight-line separately.


Doug: "What does that mean?"
Dave: "Kauer Custom Instruments, duh!"


Once everything has been straight lined I run them back through the planer on edge to true the edges.


After the edges are trued, we started cutting them to length.


FILLED the rack with materials!


We only have so many clamps in the shop so we'd glue 2 billets at a time.


Steve digging through all the blanks to match them up into nice two piece bodies.


And there we go... All of the Mahogany ones are glued, a few of the alder ones started. Tomorrow we'll get another 10-12 alder ones glued up. After this everything goes through the widebelt till they are perfectly flat.

-d

No comments: