Sunday, October 4, 2009

Daylight...twilight?

Been burning the midnight oil. In our last update I had just finished spraying the first batch of Daylighter's. Well enough time has passed that it was time to start wet sanding, wiring and setting them up. We are still waiting on a few parts to show so *HOPEFULLY* by mid week we'll have the first couple guitars up and playing.

Now some of you may have noticed that I do the final stages on a guitar at my own house. There are a couple reasons for this but mostly its to get away from the noise and dust of the shop.

Dad hard at work wet sanding...
and this was the result after buffing! GORGEOUS!
A little washed out by the sun but the bursted, matching headstock
and the back
Another Daylighter wet sanded and polished. This guy gets a TonePro's wrap around tailpiece

Now while Dad was hard at work wet sanding, I made some templates for cutting shielding tape. Trying a little different approach here and by the third guitar we had the process just about perfected. Im a little iffy on the shielding tape. I honestly believe its much more effective than the shielding paint but I won't lie, the shielding paint looks a LOT nicer. We'll see..
Template for cutting the shielding for the "floor" of the cavity. This jig serves double duty that I'll touch on later
First I shield the walls. The guitars after this actually have the tape overlapping the floor.
Then apply the "floor". We went back and made a small strip that joined it all together on this guitar.

After I cut a few guitars worth the shielding I started on prewiring a few harnesses. You can see my template back in use here.

And the finished product.

Lastly some teaser shots of 4449-1 just about ready to go. Just needs tuners and the nut slotted!
Reflection shot of the bench guardian!


With a little luck the next update will be only a couple days out with a tone report on 4449-1! Over all I couldn't be more pleased, there are a few production tweaks I want to make for the future guitars but its all very minor stuff. For as quickly as the Daylighters have come together I am positively over joyed!

-d

No comments: